In conjunction with Lucy Jenkins, Visual Arts Manager for County Durham, Create North is delighted to host a professional development workshop specifically designed for visual artists wishing to develop their understanding of how to curate shows and make the most of exhibition opportunities.
Lucy has over twenty years’ experience as an art curator who has worked in a range of settings including Hatton Gallery at Newcastle University, Leicestershire Museums and Art Galleries, the National Portrait Gallery, and Bolton Museum and Art Gallery. In her role as curator of the Hatton Gallery, Lucy led strategic change in developing the exhibition programme and the education and learning programme. This work saw an increase in gallery visitors from 32,000 to 50,000.
Lucy will share her curatorial experience to help you to:
- Conceptualise your exhibition with different audiences in mind
- Make the most of exhibition spaces and the resources available to you
- Identify potential technical issues that you might encounter
- Consider a variety of approaches to interpreting your work
- Plan your private view
- Devise a range of measures to help you gauge the impact that your exhibition has had on your audience.